Friday, January 12, 2007

Mother of the Year

Yup, that's me, Mother of the Year. Actually, that would be Idiot Mother of the Year.

First, I had Kendra memorize the wrong verse for school this week. Not a huge deal since it's still the Word of God and we talked about the meaning of the verse. But, the poor kid got a zero on her Bible recitation today because her eejit of a mom wrote the wrong verse on the dry erase board this week.

Second, I screwed up by teaching Kendra's friend Madelyn the wrong verse, too, when she was at our house on Thursday. (Sorry, Amy! I sure hope you were able to re-teach her the correct verse before school on Friday.)

Third, I just realized that my second child doesn't have a baby book. Or maybe she does and I just have no clue where it is. I came across David's baby book today and realized that I've only filled in a few pages. Then I unearthed Kendra's which is quite detailed until she was 18 months and sweet Caelyn arrived. And then I spent an hour trying to remember if I had ever filled in baby book pages for Caelyn. And the sad, sad thing is -- I really can't remember. I have vague memories of thinking about what I might write in her book, but I'm not sure the words ever made it onto paper.

So, the guilt-ridden mom made a stop at Babies R Us tonight and picked out a super-cute, very girly baby book for my 5-1/2 year old daughter. Yup, that's me. Mother of the Year.

3 comments:

Megan said...

Okay, so this is the year of the caught up baby book. I finished my two oldest, but am nowhere close on 3 or 4. And 3 asked this week about it. *GUILT*!!

So I'll commit to doing theirs while you do yours and we can get these monkeys off our backs.

Re: the wrong verse - it's a little disheartening to me that the teacher allowed nothing for motive and intent here, not to mention effort. I mean, we're not talking high school, right? Seems like poor judgement to punish the child for what was obviously not her fault...

Chelsea said...

Actually, I'm going to email the teacher and request a do-over. Volunteer moms listen to the Bible verse out in the hallway, and Friday's volunteer didn't have the notebook or a Bible on hand. So, I'm thinking Kendra deserves a second chance. (Quite frankly, I like the verse I had her memorize better. She memorized Proverbs 28:14, and we had some great discussions about hardening your heart to God. But the real verse was Proverbs 28:13, which has some mighty big vocabulary for a 7-year-old. Still, I'm a rule-follower, so I feel bad.)

I'm off to search for Caelyn's possible non-existent baby book one more time. If I can't find it today, I'm going to start filling in the new one. Of course, my mom never filled in more than 3 pages in my baby book, either. I was the third child in three years, you know.

Stephanie said...

I'm cracking up, not at your misfortune, but because I can totally see myself in your shoes.

I agree that she should have a second chance at her memory verse. And those pesky baby books! Why do we obsess over something that causes us all such guilt?!

I'm a firstborn, with a pathetic excuse for a baby book that my mom did for me. Yet, I really don't mind a bit. I mean, really, does it matter in the grand scheme of life when I got my first tooth, or on what day I learned to walk?

So WHY do I spend so much energy kicking myself over my kids' baby books?? Let me know if anyone solves this mystery. It seems to be an epidemic.